Friday, June 06, 2008

To Mutti From Lu

Dear Mutti,

I'm so sorry I couldn't be there this weekend to help you celebrate your amazing milestone birthday, 100!! I was dragged to Silicon Valley at very short notice, which did a very good job of squashing any plans I had previously made.

CONGRATULATIONS for your 100th Birthday!

Since I now work for Google I thought it would be appropriate to do a search for '100 year olds'. An easy way to find some good articles on a special subject.

I found an article that claimed that people that live to see their 100th birthday have high levels of Vitamin D and Vitamin A. Fancy that! A very interesting, if slightly useless fact.

The next article talked about the many changes 100 year olds have lived through, in our world. During your lifetime, Mutti, you've witnessed two world wars, the birth of television, the moon landing, the invention of Nylon and the evolution of the digital age with the first computer in 1939. Not only this world wide changes, but you've watched your family grow into the huge clan that has gathered today to help you celebrate your birthday.

I also had a think about the times we spent together and I remember on one of my visits to Oura Ta, 9 or so years ago, we started chatting about the pros and cons of turning 100. I remember you saying that you thought 100 years was a bit too long. But I had already made a bet with myself that you would definitely see your 100th birthday!

During this same visit you also told me about the day I was born. You told me how you and Aunty Ann spent days trying to find some way to amuse yourselves before I decided to arrive. You told me of driving around the hot dry Canberran country side just trying to pass the time away. I didn't have the heart to correct you at the time, but that wasn't me! That was Karyn.

I have been thinking about you and about writing this piece a lot over the last couple of weeks. I've been talking to a lot of people about my amazing vegan grandmother who has just turned 100, and talking about you has made me realise how proud I am to be your grand daughter, and how much you have shaped me just by being part of my life. Thank you, Mutti. You are an amazing lady.

And with that, all that remains to say is: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUTTI.

All my love
Luisa

No comments: