Saturday, November 11, 2006

Opening Ceremony

Ok so we're in Perth! Exciting!

We've just been to the Opening Ceremony of World Ultimate Club Championships!

So many people

We watched a Welcome to Country, some great Aboriginal Ngoon-gar Dancers who got some audience participation (hilarious) and then they moved on to the highlight, the VEGEMITE DANCERS.

A troup of 30 girls started in various costumes - kangaroos, lifesavers, afl football players and Dame Ednas who, after the first rendition of 'We are one but we are many and from all the lands on earth we come, we share a dream and sing with one voice, I am, you are, we are Australian', took off their Australian costumes, to reveal green and gold hot pants and crop tops! I think the maximum age of these girls would have been 15 or so. Their enthusiasm was infectious though and by the third refrain of "We are Australian" we were starting to get into it, however that was little short lived by the time they went through the 5th 6th and 7th refrain of "We are Australian" we were a bit over it. One of the girls was, how shall I put this, VERY BENDY, she wrapped herself in three different knots and then managed to untangle in one fluid movement - eeeek.

The Vegemite Dancers were billed as dancing to 'some well known Australian tunes'. Liars. It turns out it was only one tune but I think every international frisbee player now knows the words at least!

While I'm on the subject of vegemite I thought I'd visit www.vegemite.com.au and get you all this recipe for your dinners (vegemite - the versatile condament).

Honey & VegemiteChicken Fillets

Ingredients
4 chicken fillets

Marinade:
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons sherry
2 tablespoons VEGEMITE

BLEND all marinade ingredients. Use to coat chicken fillets and leave in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
BAKE in oven at 200ÂșC until just cooked.

No comments: